Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Galbraith, Robert. (a.k.a. J.K Rowling). The Silkworm, Sphere, London, 2013. (Pages 456)

Rating: 5/10

I read this book immediately after the earlier Cormoran Strike adventure, the first book in this series, the Cuckoo's calling. I much preferred the Cuckoo's calling. My wife, though, read the Silkworm first followed by the Cuckoo's calling. She thought the Silkworm was better. My conclusion is that the series may not be as attractive and delightful as I had thought after reading the first book. Galbraith may go the same way as John Grisham, read one book, enjoy it, and the remaining are re-churning the same or similar.

While Galbraith (read: Rowling) maintains his (read: her) mastery over the language, displays great understanding of human psychology through subtle actions or dialogue, the Silkworm is much contrived and in places not credible. Readers, like theatre goers who accept the missing fourth wall,  are willing to suspend belief but not to any degree. I am tempted to give examples, but review ethics forbid me from playing a spoiler.

One thing I may mention, though. Many key characters in the Silkworm are related to the literary world, either authors or publishers. The author of Harry Potter appears to have drawn extensively from her experience with the publishing world. This industry appearing in a detective, murder mystery genre may be original, but for majority of the readers it is likely to be dull and tiresome.

Robert Galbraith is a refined, 21st century version of Agatha Christie. After the Cuckoo's calling, I excitedly took up the Silkworm. Now after completing it, I am not keen to read the Career of Evil, at least not for another year or so. I couldn't read Agatha Christie books one after the other either.

Verdict: Read the Cuckoo's calling instead. And if you have read that one recently, don't read the Silkworm for another year or so.
*****


No comments:

Post a Comment